THE 7 BRIDGES
Sydney Harbour is world-renowned for its beauty and its famous Sydney Harbour Bridge. This is just one of seven magnificent bridges that complete the loop around the harbour. Every bridge has an interesting history behind it.
SYDNEY HARBOUR BRIDGE
The Sydney Harbour Bridge is one of Australia's best known and photographed landmarks. It is the world's largest (but not the longest) steel arch bridge, with the top of the bridge standing 134 metres above the harbour.
Pyrmont Bridge stands at the entrance to Darling Harbour, regularly opening its central steel swingspan to allow leisure and commercial craft to pass into Cockle Bay.
The ANZAC Bridge spans Johnstons Bay and is one of Sydney's outstanding landmarks. Opened in December 1995, at a cost of $170 million, it provides a key link between Sydney City and the suburbs to the west. Via the City West Link and Victoria Road, it is the major east-west route to the M4 at Concord and the Homebush Bay Olympic 2000 site.
FIG TREE BRIDGE
Opened in September 1963, Fig Tree Bridge is a girder bridge that spans the Lane Cove River, west of central Sydney. It is immediately to the north of Tarban Creek Bridge and the more well-known Gladesville Bridge. The bridge carries Burns Bay Road, a footpath, and connects the suburb of Hunters Hill to Linley Point.
Gladesville Bridge is an arch bridge that spans the Parramatta River, west of central Sydney. At the time of its completion in 1964, Gladesville Bridge was the longest single span concrete arch ever constructed. Gladesville Bridge is the largest of a complex of three bridges, including Fig Tree Bridge and Tarban Creek Bridge, designed to carry a never built North Western Expressway.
IRON COVE BRIDGE
The original bridge was constructed of wrought iron lattice girders and opened in 1882 after four years of construction. The area was sparsely populated in the 1880s and the opening of the new bridge not only helped accessibility, it provided a new western route to Sydney via Balmain. The duplication of the Iron Cove Bridge opened on 30th January 2011
TARBAN CREEK BRIDGE
Tarban Creek Bridge is an arch bridge that spans Tarban Creek. Opened in December 1955, Tarban Creek Bridge formed a "missing link" between the existing Gladesville and Fig Tree Bridges.
Traffic between the old Fig Tree and Gladesville Bridges previously had to negotiate the streets of Hunters Hill to cross the creek further upstream.